SIL vs SDA: What's the difference?


Supported Independent Living ( SIL) and Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) can easily be mistaken for each other, as both are designed to help people with disabilities lead more independent lives.

However, SIL is focused on the support you receive while at home, while SDA is focused on the actual home itself, such as making adjustments to accommodate your specific needs in regards to your home.

Supported Independent Living (SIL)

Supported Independent Living ( SIL) is one kind of help to assist you with residing in your home. It incorporates help or oversight with day to day errands, similar to individual consideration or preparing suppers. It assists you with living as freely as could really be expected, while building your abilities. Supported Independent Living (SIL) is for individuals with higher help needs, who need some degree of help at home constantly. Supported Independent Living (SIL) is the most appropriate to individuals with a higher incapacity support needs. This implies you really want a lot of help over the course of the day, 7 days every week. This incorporates for the time being support. You can get Supported Independent Living (SIL) assuming you live with other NDIS members. You can likewise also get Supported Independent Living (SIL) if you live all alone, however there may be other home and residing upholds that suit you better.Supported Independent Living (SIL) subsidizing can’t be utilized for things like lease or other everyday costs like food.

Specialist Disability Accomodation (SDA)

If you have extremely high needs, you will need to relocate to a specially modified home. The Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) programme provides you with a home designed specifically for your needs.

SDA offers a variety of housing support and services, including the option of receiving a home designed specifically for people with severe functional impairments or receiving funding to improve your current home.

Support and other services can be delivered on time and safely in an SDA modified house because it has accessible features.The SDA funding, on the other hand, only covers the cost of the house. You must pay your rent and other daily expenses.

So, what's the difference between Specialist Disability Accommodation and Supported Independent Living?

SDA refers to a place that was either specifically planned or changed to meet the high needs of people who need a lot of help.

SIL is the name for the support and day-to-day living services that are given to a group of people in need so that they can improve their own skills and live as independently as possible.

If a person meets the requirements, they can get both SIL and SDA.
If a person needs both help with daily tasks and specially designed or changed housing, SDA and SIL will be paid for separately in their NDIS plan.

Separate funding for SIL and SDA gives them the freedom to live in a place that fits their needs and get the SIL supports they want.

disability support worker jobs

If you are looking for Supported Independent Living services in Melbourne, please get in touch.

To know more, contact the Careable team  at or fill out the form below

Get in touch and let us care for
your loved ones.

This is a

Hate filling out forms? Email or call us.

Call us.